Friday, October 14, 2011

Hello, nasty bruise. Where did you come from?

Have you ever asked a bruise this question? Maybe not. Not everyone talks to their bruises like I do. But I'm sure you have found at least one bruise in your life time that you didn't know how you got it.
Its really not an unusual thing to have an unexplained bruise. I mean, we don't notice or remember every single thing that hurts us. At work I would get bruises that I didn't notice, all the time. I would be in a hurry and would hit my shin or whatever and just keep on going. I didn't have time to notice every time I hit something. Or sometimes I think that while sleeping, we (or at least I) tend to get hurt. So unexplained bruises are not a strange thing.
The thing that is strange is finding a bruise that is particularly nasty or in an unusual place. Let me explain before you get strange ideas. A few weeks ago I was wearing shorts. These shorts are somewhat shorter than what I typically wear. The only time I wear them out in public is with my swimsuit. However, I will often wear them to sleep in. Anyway, a few weeks ago I woke up and before changing my clothes, wanted to get something from out of my car. I was wearing these shorts and as I put on some shoes, I discovered a nasty bruise on my inner thigh. It was the darkest bruise I have had in years. It didn't really hurt much, but it was extremely dark and being on my inner thigh, I had no idea how I got it without noticing.
Another strange place to get a bruise without noticing is on your hand. I don't often bruise there, but there was a period of time where I almost constantly had a bruise on the back of my hand. I worked at Quiznos at the time and we had some shelves made of metal in the back room. One day, I was in a hurry and while passing these shelves I hit my hand. Irritated with myself, I thought, "I always do that," and kept on about my work. Later that day I looked at my hand to discover a new bruise. I had a brilliant "aha!" moment as I realized why I almost constantly had a bruise in that spot.
Bruises are strange things, if you ask me. Particularly the nasty bruises in odd places. I have (many, many times) said, "Hello, nasty bruise. Where did you come from?" Most times I even say it aloud. And I will many more times in my life, I am sure. Because I have many years left in my life and plenty of unexplained bruises will appear in that time.
I know this, because I have seen the future. O.o
-Octavian

1 comment:

  1. Okay, 1) I TOTALLY have bruised my hand on a stupid metal shelf in Zubs!!
    2) Unexplained bruises are crazy, but cool. I know what you mean about finding them. Erin and I concluded that her seal used to sneak down off her bed and beat me up in my sleep. And dangit, I'm sure that was the case! Safe at home, I don't get as many...

    You are cool.

    ReplyDelete